Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Designer’s Manifesto: Architecture, Design, Technology, and Katsy

First things first – thoughts on architecture

And then I shall come to you, a boundless drop to a boundless ocean. [1]
-taken from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

This is quite lengthy so read, only if you must. :) This is an 11-page design manifesto we had to submit back in college. I thought of posting this so that I'll be able to compare it with the unwritten design manifesto in my current practice. Let's see how far we've come shall we?


Such is the relationship between Architecture and I – the boundless ocean where freedom and experience are combined, to which I shall belong. There really is no need for further ado in this introduction; I speak for no one but myself. I am a student of Architecture and I always will be as long as I choose to traverse this path. I doubt that I will deviate soon for I have found in Architecture such personal fulfillment and also, personal insecurities. Boundless, I describe my craft, for freedom comes with the limitations – gravity, finances, clients, etc. A great architect defies them all, but surely with respect. For an architect thrives in innovation, in surpassing the norm; we are not just bricoleurs[2] so to speak. We do not stay within our environment, nor do we remain within a system of creating. It is in these natural limits imposed on us that we find numerous possibilities to innovate. They are not really limitations, in fact, they are seeds from which some of the best ideas and truly great architecture arises. Weren’t the skyscrapers of today built due to the limitation in land? Weren’t the bridges constructed due to the limitation of the sea? Wasn’t aluminum developed massively due to iron’s corrosion?

We are “engineers” enabled to construct, to structure, and to design with empathy (tectonics).[3] We are creators, makers, builders, innovators and many other descriptions possible. We are architects.

…mastery of execution obviously stands for “construction” in our terminology, while technical knowledge may be related to “structure,” and static-aesthetic sensitivity to empathy and thus to “tectonics.” [4]

Voila! – a designer’s intuition

Ingenuity
Corpus Magni Ingenii Viri Philippi Brunelleschi Fiorentini
(“Here lies the body of the great ingenious man
Filippo Brunelleschi of Florence”)[5]
- excerpt from Brunelleschi’s Dome
How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture by Ross King

Who am I to speak of ingenuity without mentioning Filippo Brunelleschi and his famous Santa Maria del Fiore dome? The first dome ever to be built without wooden centering and scaffoldings, made out of brickwork in a time where high-flying machinery are not yet available[6]. With a span and height that was only rivaled recently and by technologically developed materials, I was fascinated by this dome ever since my Arch 18 class. Brunelleschi was different, he was a genius! That was why when I was given the chance to read Brunelleschi’s Dome I took it albeit it took me a long time to read and finish. It was a book that even my younger sister read, asking me all the time how he managed to do the oxen-hoist and the various other contraptions he made. Answers to which I really didn’t know and thus I had to settle for the typical excuse of “Look it up in the dictionary or the encyclopedia.” But true to my sister’s typical one-word expressions per book, Brunelleschi truly is “Fascinating!” He set out, as the author claims, in redefining architecture, in turning it from one of the lowest ranked art, a manual labor profession, into a highly-acclaimed, richly cultured one.  His dome is an architect’s dream, probably not all, but it is mine. The level of ingenuity he exhibited, I could only hope and pray to come into my life.

Creativity
“This is my design, my work, my lab where detailed and fearless experimentation abound for the mastery of my craft.” [7]
- taken from Spatial Construx Ed Calma’s Architectural Origami
by Ed Calma, BluPrint Magazine Volume 4 2001

Experimentation is truly an architect’s gift, for every project, every design idea is an adventure in itself. If one stops in experimenting and exploring, creativity is limited. And that is one thing an architect should avoid; for creativity is what sets us apart from the engineers.

Creativity brings the art and the aesthetics into play, for when we design, it’s as if we’ve actually been there. It’s as if we have actually roamed the place and scrutinized it over for details. Our imaginations are awry, yet logical. Practical as we are, we dare to dream of heights never reached, details never used before, and layouts never practiced. The ideas never stop, the illusions continue even if sometimes it becomes too much. I strive to develop my creativity further, to break out of the box every now and then; even if it’s as simple as changing my style of writing or tone for that matter just to try out another voice inside me. Or changing a rendering technique I always use in favor a new supposedly more exciting one and hopefully, it will work for me as well. But change is not always welcome though it’s good for creativity. Sometimes too much creativity sacrifices my hopeful excellence as the learning curve always steps in before the mastery comes.

Excellence
Noun – the quality and state of being outstanding and superior.[8]
- definition taken from Microsoft Encarta Dictionary Tools 2004 CD edition

I really didn’t plan on including this one as I know that it will be purely based on my opinion but I realized that I feel quite strongly about this, thus, my opinion counts. Excellence for me is almost synonymous to quality. I believe that you cannot excel without quality – to be the best, you have to work hard for it. I don’t believe in the easy way as it had almost always never worked for me. It is through the hard way that I learned most of the things I know now. I wouldn’t choose big and structural for the phase 3 activity if I believed otherwise. Knowing that it will be hard and that there will be sacrifices add to the challenge of the activity. As of this writing, phase 3 is not yet even halfway done and there will be sacrifices made. But I know that the end will justify the means and that the feeling of satisfaction we will get will be more than enough for the sacrifices we made.

I also believe that the desire for excellence comes from within, same as with quality. One can be good yet never really great without this innate desire to excel. I am not one of those people. I want to excel. I want to be great. Good is never enough in Architecture.

“Remember, there is no room for mediocrity in the practice and service of Architecture.”
- Architect J.R. Pangilinan, one of my very first professors in the College

Inspiration
“The most talented designers don’t copy what they admire but manage somehow to absorb it, to pull its essence into themselves and distill it into their own creative work. What they love becomes a part of them.”[9]
- excerpt from How the Legendary Designers of the Past Inspire the Best Designs of Today by Paul Goldberger, Architectural Digest January 2001

Every little thing around us offers inspiration – from the trees to a fence to a rock. From the works of Sir Christopher Wren to Lord Norman Foster and to various other contemporary architects, our “muse” seems to be right at hand. No one can really say that their work is entirely original as even great designers admit to being inspired by their fellow designers’ work at times. This was discussed in the article How the Legendary Designers of the Past Inspire the Best Designs of Today where each one of the designers paid homage to the inspiration behind some of their greatest works. After all, where else can we draw greatness but from the great?

Personally, I think it’s okay to be inspired by the designs of others as long as you give credit and at the same time, ensure that you are drawing inspiration only and not copying. Infusing the inspired design with your own sense of style assures this goal. It can also be hard to draw inspiration from such great designs as you’d have to do them justice by studying them carefully, like if you’re trying to recreate the look and feel of a certain architect for your clients. This was done really quite successfully by Ed Calma in the Bellavista, Eirvin and Josephine Knox’s home in Punta Fuego. Its geometric structure draws inspirations from various styles of the favorite architects of the owners. Bellavista, which means “beautiful landscape or view” or “sight to behold” in Italian is the aptly chosen moniker for the house that truly showcases a breathtaking design that stands out from the other “villas” in the village, thus, proving that it truly is a “sight to behold.”[10]

“Aside from the Mexican architect Legoretta, the styles of Luis Barragan, Italian Gae Aulenti and Americans John Lautner and Richard Meier are also evident in the Bellavista.”[11]

Technology – marvels and mishaps

Renzo Piano
“Le Corbusier’s idea of design as a patient search is correct. It is not patience as in just waiting, but rather of everyday letting something happen so that the scheme grows a little bit.”[12]
- excerpt from an Interview with Renzo Piano by Peter Buchanan, UNESCO Laboratory-workshop at Vesima, Genoa, towards the end of 1993

Renzo Piano talked about resisting being pigeon-holed. He also talked about his personal history in connection with his approach to Architecture. Coming from a family of builders, the desire for making has always been natural to him. Looking at his high-flying structures and “high-tech” designs, I thought of the beauty brought about by technology. His structures wouldn’t have reached its glory had it not been for the technological advancements of today. It is what enables him to develop his spaces and master them; it is what gives him the power to span long distances and devise roofing structures that are not typical in construction.

Technology advances the world, speeds it up. It introduces new products, new materials, new building construction methods that enable architects like us to dream of such high-tech structures. It is through technology that we are able to reveal most of our construction joints in our building systems. It is through technology that we are able to build on water and off cliffs. Technology is a tool for us designers to use in the advancement of our designs. It is another limitation that we continually surpass.

Technology is a mode of revealing. Technology comes to presence in the realm where revealing and unconcealment take place, where alētheia, truth, happens.[13]

But of course, Frank Lloyd Wright
“Concrete is a plastic material – susceptible to the impress of the imagination which (if moulded in pieces) is permanent, noble, beautiful – cheap.”[14]
- taken from Frank Lloyd Wright by Naomi Stungo

A discussion on Architecture, I believe cannot be complete without Frank Lloyd Wright. He is one of the few architects I know and love. His designs make me believe in organic architecture and the immense capabilities that we can do with nature. Falling Water of course is my primary example. Cliché as it may be for Falling Water has been used over and over again when citing a Frank Lloyd Wright example, but I think that this is where he was really able to fuse together nature and the built environment. However, no matter how great he may be, his designs are not without technical flaws for there are leaks in his buildings and Falling Water was being shored up at the time of writing of Frank Lloyd Wright before it literally falls into the water[15].

“Fallingwater is a great blessing – one of the greatest blessings to be experienced here on earth, I think nothing yet ever equaled the co-ordination (and) sympathetic expression or the great principle of repose where forest and stream and rock and all the elements of structure are combined so quietly that really you listen not to any noise whatsoever although the music of the stream is there. But you listen to Fallingwater the way you listen to the quiet of the country.”[16]
- FLW to his students

Even with flaws, Frank Lloyd Wright still serves as an inspiration for me. The way he uses his materials is very honest, he stays true to them. His developmental schemes impress upon me in the same way that Brunelleschi’s dome did. Fascinating, truly; intriguing, absolutely. They are but two of the few architects I deeply admire, aside from Renzo Piano, and myself of course.

Modern Natural – a design philosophy

“In a world dominated by technology, nature has never seemed more alluring.”[17]
- excerpt from Modern Natural by Ros Byam Shaw

Nature exudes a classic elegance that I absolutely love. It is this book that pivoted me to pursue a design philosophy grounded in nature but contemporary in design – a mixture of technology and the natural materials around us. Technology as a tool for the utilization of the natural matter on earth for it is through technology that wood is preserved, that stone is cut more easily, and for them to be transported more safely. It also allows for a more streamlined, minimalist look that is also a great influence in my designs. I believe in minimalism, but not utter minimalism. One truly extraordinary design can surpass a thousand forged in mediocrity. Like a face that launched a thousand ships. Less is more.

Again, quality and excellence comes to play. Modern natural as a design philosophy does not allow for sloppiness. Nature’s finest elements should be treated with utmost care and respect, just like every client we shall hereby serve. For the very best, that is all I’d love to produce. And my belief in the contemporary as well as the traditional, fused together in modern natural will continually guide me in my quest for excellence not only in practice but also in the service called Architecture.

“I think Nature should be spelled with a capital ‘N,’ not because nature is God but because all that we can learn of God we will learn from the body of God, which we call nature.”[18]

Who am I? – a final verdict

This ain’t over till I say it is.

This manifesto may be long-winded already, filled with quotations in every sub-topic, quotations in various sub-topic endings. But you see I love to quote. These little tidbits called quotations can sometimes impart far more in me than numerous paragraphs. I remember them quite easily after all. This, I believe, is what Architecture should be about. Architecture need not be complex. It should be a story that can easily be read by thousands, even millions. I don’t think it necessary for a marvel to continue being a marvel because you cannot know anything about it although some of the greatest architectural creations in the world can only be deciphered by the architects themselves. True greatness and ingenuity lies in the ability of being translatable but at the same time out of reach from the common mind. Architecture is such service. It bridges the gap between the users and the buildings. We are middle men that help our clients in communicating effectively with their spaces. Our complex theories and designs we translate into livable space that is quite simply understood by those we serve. An enigma considering it takes so long to build something, while it takes only a matter of minutes, or maybe days, to get accustomed to a space. Human beings are adaptable after all. We live and build where we can in order to survive.

This has been a journey for me. All this talk about Architecture and yet, you may ask, “Who are you?” Who am I really? Who is Katsy? Read my manifesto again if you still do not know. Because all I know at this point is that I am a student of Architecture and always will be as long as I continue to traverse this path. I doubt that I will deviate soon for I have found in Architecture such personal fulfillment and also, personal insecurities. Boundless, I describe my craft.

No limits, Jonathan? he thought, and he smiled. His race to learn had begun.[19]
- Fletcher Seagull from Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
 __________________________________________________________
Bibliography

Bach, Richard
Jonathan Livingston Seagull (New York, 1973)

Buchanan, Peter
Interview with Renzo Piano Vesima, Genoa, 1993 (Arch 41 Supplemental Readings, 2004)

Calma, Ed
Spatial Construx (BluPrint Magazine Philippines, Vol. 4 2001)

Gibran, Kahlil
The Prophet (Great Britain, 1980)

Goldberger, Paul
How the Legendary Designers of the Past Inspire the Best Designs of Today (Architectural Digest USA, January 2001)

Heidegger, Martin
The Question Concerning Technology (Arch 41 Readings, 2004)

King, Ross
Brunelleschi’s Dome (Great Britain, 2000)

Levi-Strauss, Claude
The Science of Concrete (Arch 41 Readings, 2004)

Microsoft Encarta
Excellence definition (Microsoft Encarta Dictionary Tools 2004)

Sekler, Eduard
Structure, Construction and Tectonics (Arch 41 Readings 2004)

Shaw, Ros Byam
Modern Natural (United Kingdom, 2000)

Stungo, Naomi
Frank Lloyd Wright (Hong Kong, 1999)

Torrente, Chiquit
Know Landing (BluPrint Magazine Philippines, Volume 5 2004)


            [1] Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet, (Great Britain, 1980), p. 3
[2] Claude Levi-Strauss, The Science of Concrete, (Arch 41 Readings, 2004) CD
[3] Eduard Sekler, Structure, Construction and Tectonics, (Arch 41 Readings   2004) CD
[4] Ibid.
[5] Ross King, Brunelleschi’s Dome, (Great Britain, 2000) p. 156
[6] Ibid.
[7] Ed Calma, Spatial Construx, (BluPrint Magazine Philippines, Vol. 4 2001) p. 50
[8] Microsoft Encarta, Excellence definition, (Microsoft Encarta Dictionary Tools 2004) CD
[9] Paul Goldberger, How the Legendary Designers of the Past Inspire the Best Designs of Today, (Architectural Digest USA, January 2001) p. 121
[10] Chiquit Torrente, Knox Landing, (BluPrint Magazine Philippines, Volume 5 2004) p. 96
[11] Ibid.
[12] Peter Buchanan, Interview with Renzo Piano, Vesima, Genoa, 1993, (Arch 41 Supplemental Readings, 2004) CD
[13] Martin Heidegger, The Question Concerning Technology, (Arch 41 Readings, 2004) CD
[14] Naomi Stungo, Frank Lloyd Wright, (Hong Kong, 1999) p. 18
[15] Ibid.
[16] Ibid.
[17] Ros Byam Shaw, Modern Natural, (United Kingdom, 2000) p. 8
[18] Naomi Stungo, Frank Lloyd Wright, (Hong Kong, 1999) p. 12
[19] Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, (New York, 1973)

No comments:

Post a Comment