Monday, April 2, 2012

Step #1

There is one tool that is an absolute must-have in multi-tasking - the To-Do List.

When you have a ton to do and you find out that you're only human (bound to make mistakes, forget a few....), having an actual to-do list is the next best thing to having actually accomplished your to-do list.  

So what is a to-do list?
It's basically a pretty straightforward list of ALL the things that you have to do in the next second, minute, hour, day, week, month even. I find that there are items on my to-do list that I keep rewriting even as I crumple away the old to-do lists after I have successfully crossed off (and oh how I love the literal act of crossing off an item off my list - sometimes I even put "get lip balm from room" just to be able to cross an item off immediately). These items that are on constant repeat made me realize that I never actually get around to doing them which means that they may not be urgent exactly but they are important enough to merit several rewrites on fresh lists. Now this basic to-do list only works for items that have a clear direction and with no element of time pressure noted. Basic lists like the one I used to use above (quite extensively, as I used to have several of these sheets with me all the time) just note the date of the list and provide a bunch of lines for all the items. It's much like a shopping/grocery list which is pretty linear. I tried to add an element of organization to my lists by grouping them under project headings but then there goes the clear lack of time as a crucial element in anything to be done.

So how do I get time into the equation?
I asked a friend to go through my list with me and she suggested adding the time element by labeling items according to categories (I usually just ask a trusted friend for advice as it is the quickest way to know something without going through tons of research. I found that I am an extensive researcher and if I start researching on such productivity methods, I might go down the deep rabbit hole and end up doing nothing else. Much like this blog I'm starting really. But since it helps keep me sane then on I go...):

URGENT/IMPORTANT
URGENT/NOT-AS-TIME-CONSTRAINED
NOT URGENT/IMPORTANT
NOT URGENT/NOT-AS-TIME-CONSTRAINED

Now you may ask me why there's urgent and there's not as time constrained, like what's the difference? Isn't urgent the same as time constrained? Why is there an urgent/not-as-time-constrained category? Let me explain each category with slightly bit more detail. (I think my friend suggested different categories but of course I had to modify it to fit my highly complicated thought process.)

URGENT/IMPORTANT
These are items that MUST BE DONE IMMEDIATELY! DO or DIE! An example is "eat lunch now (at 5pm)". Seriously though, these are such items like print out drawings for presentation at 2pm today (and it's 3am and you're still not done with the presentation) and write letters for signing of a signatory who is leaving tomorrow. Extremely-busy-people/crammers have the most items on this list all the time.
URGENT/NOT-AS-TIME-CONSTRAINED
These are items that have to be done but are not as high priority as those in the first category; meaning they can be delayed a day or too before they move to the category above. These are items that fall into the critical path if you adopt the "Critical Path Method." If you do not accomplish one of these items soon, the rest to follow will all be in alarm mode. And yes, we do not want that to happen. At all. Making sure that you don't miss one of these items is crucial so that they won't cause delays later on.
NOT URGENT/IMPORTANT
Now this category is for those items that are not due within the next two weeks but are highly important for some reason that only you know. One example is "Read the Hunger Games before watching the movie." Oh shoot. Wait. That should fall under the first category as the movie is showing already!
NOT URGENT/NOT-AS-TIME-CONSTRAINED
This category I created mainly for my sanity as I wanted a place where I can write all the things that I wanted to do but at the same time be reminded that these do not have a place in the schedule any time in the near future (read: unnecessary except for my absolute sanity which translates to must be done like now now) unless I absolutely make time. A perfect example of an item on this list is "write in blog". Which just goes to show my perfect understanding of my priorities at the start of the work week.

So wait, how do I get time in the equation again?
Now when you have an extensive list already grouped under project headings, merging them with the categories above may prove to be a tad confusing. Thankfully, I thought of the perfect way to apply the categories onto my already existing list - USE COLOR!

I actually left my written to-do list and made a grand list of things to do in my nifty (now favorite) computer program MS Excel. (I will do my best to write an entry about the evolution of the to-do list soon as I think it is quite notable - this journey of digitizing almost everything.) Once I've input all my darling little items under their specific project columns, I then used color to apply the time element categories. You can actually use whatever color you like but I suggest using the red color for the URGENT/IMPORTANT category. There is nothing quite like seeing your Excel grand list of things to do practically all in red to bring you to panic. I also used blue and green and orange I think. It really depends on my mood. Another important thing though is to put ABSOLUTELY NO COLOR on those items that you have already accomplished. That way, you can feel a sense of satisfaction as your list turns into this monochromatic world of accomplishment. Such is the world of peace to counteract the colorful world of to-do with its look-at-me hues!

So how do I go from here?
Now this one really should be simple. If you don't already know the answer then let me spell it out for you - START WORKING! Get moving and start crossing items off your list. At the end of the day, making the actual list doesn't really count (although writing out those lists make me feel like I'm doing something honestly..), it's finishing the items on the list that really matters.

"Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit." - Conrad Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment